Monday, April 4, 2011

Swimming while Pregnant

Today Mike and I re-upped our membership at the gym so we could go swimming. Yesterday I tried on my bathing suit just to see if I could wear it to swim today. After a lot of wiggling and laughing on my part (and Mike's) we determined that I definitely need a 2 piece swimsuit at this late stage of pregnancy. So on the way to the gym today we stopped to buy me a bathing suit. It was hilarious to see myself in a tankini with this GIANT belly but it was also kinda awesome. When I was preggers with Evelyn I didn't swim at all, the whole time. In fact she didn't see a beach until she was almost 2 yrs old and when she did go to the beach the first time it was with Mike and Bailey and me. This is surprising to me in hindsight because I LOVE to swim. Swimming has ALWAYS been a source of great joy for me throughout my life. And I was raised by beach loving parents that always wanted to be near the ocean or go swimming. Today really marked in my mind a great milestone of change for who I am and what my life is like today. In my past life I was with someone that hated the beach and never went. Because I was with someone like that I didn't go to the beach for 7 years. I swam but not regularly. Today I swam 15 laps with Mike. We walked up and down the lap lane together for 10 laps just talking and moving in the water together. We enjoyed each other in a physically and emotionally healthy way that I never did in my past life. I just feel so lucky and amazed that I found a spouse that is truly my partner in every part of my life, and not because I force him to be my partner or because I force myself to include him but because we both genuinely love doing things together. One of my all time favorite things to do with Mike is work out. Not in a meat head kind of way but in a let's help each other and work toward a common goal together kind of way. When we were first dating we did the Muddy Buddy Race together and it was such a wonderful bonding experience. I am really looking forward to doing the Lake Lanier Sprint Triathlon in October with Mike. I did it before with my Dad, Big Brother and Sis in Law and it was so special and wonderful. This time I know it will be even more special.

So back to swimming today. It felt INCREDIBLE to be completely submerged in water. For the first time in 8 months I felt weightless. I felt strong and fast, I haven't felt that way in quite a few months. And between my belly and boobs I was floating without any effort so I GLIDED through the water. It was so relaxing  and rejuvenating. Needless to stay we will be swimming every day this week and I am thrilled!

3 comments:

  1. Very sweet of you honey. I feel the same way, of course. I NEED to spend time with you for my mental and physical health. You are my energy, my life...what keeps me going everyday. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And think--you will be able to repeat this wonderful activity for the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are amazing... You make me so happy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete