Saturday, August 13, 2011

Relaxation

Recently (yesterday) I decided to research relaxation techniques to help me stay calm and level headed in the face of 3 kids and a million things to get done. I found some EXCELLENT resources and I immediately started putting them to use. Let me tell you, it amazes me, astounds me, how a change in perspective and outlook has changed the entire landscape of my day to day life as a SAHM (stay at home mom) with a 9 yr old, 5 yr old, and newborn. I feel like I have a new lease on life, like things that I never thought were possible are not only possible but easy to do. One of the things I struggled with was getting into spats with the big girls (Levi at this point is pretty low maintenance as far as emotional needs). This was a HUGE source of stress and heartache for me everyday, to the point that I would dread them coming home from school because I didn't know how I was going to avoid the altercations. After researching the techniques for relaxing and putting them into use Friday and today I am AMAZED! Not only are the spats less but the joy and love are so much MORE!!! More than I thought was possible in such a quick time. There has always been love of course but the constant spats make the joy/love feelings hard to remember and feel in the moment.

So today I have felt like a new woman and a new Mom. The five of us ate a yummy breakfast together and we all laughed, belly laughed at the table together just cracking each other up. Then I did yoga for 20 minutes to relax. Then I walked with (dragged) Evie and pushed Levi in the stroller at the park for 2 miles. Bailey rode her bike while Mike ran the 2 miles. It was great! And then we came home and had a yummy turkey burger with turkey bacon dinner. Mike bathed Levi while I bathed and did hair for both girls.

Today was a wonderful day. But it wasn't a different day than any other for our family. Except for me, I was different. My outlook, my approach was different. And that made all the difference. There were plenty of opportunities for spats with both girls. Today I took breathes, I gave myself time outs, I said my mantra (let it go, let it go, relax, relax) about a million times, and it worked! I know it's only been 2 days but the difference has given me so much confidence, so much hope, so much happiness.

At the end of the day (everyday) I LOVE my family. I love that we all get to be together and share this life with each other. I want the time that the five of us are together to be full of reality but also laughter, fun, joy, love. Our life has always had that but recently it was more stress than love. Now the tables are turning back to they way it should be and I am so very glad.




No comments:

Post a Comment