Friday, August 26, 2011

Quirks

As I approach 30 (yikes!) I am realizing that I am really actually an adult now. No more pretending like I am an adult because I feel that is what I should be, now I really am just an adult. With this new self awareness comes the noticing of some strange quirks I have developed.

I remember as a child and teenager watching my parents and wondering why they did things the way they did. They were so specific in the actions they made when doing certain things. I remember watching my Mom smoke a cigarette in her car in high school. It was like watching a choreographed dance. She had to clean the ashtray, then wipe the console, then delicately extract her lighter from it's protective pouch, the same with her cigarette, then finally she would light the cig and then roll her window down and up about 5 times before settling on just the right size crack to allow the smokey air out and keep the cool air in. And I remember watching my Dad clean the kitchen as a kid. He had to touch every single item on the counters. Every one. And not just touch, he had to move it a minuscule centimeter to the left or right a few times to make sure it was just in the right place. He still does that.

And when I would watch my parents do these quirky things I would wonder why they HAD to do it THAT way. I would wonder (in my defiant teenage way) why they couldn't relax and do things differently, ever.

So now I realize that I too have developed quirky habits that my kids will question and pick on me for. And here are just a few:

Brushing my hair before I go to bed. What is that? I have NEVER done this before but now I find I can't go to bed unless I have brushed my hair. It is going to get bed head whether I brush it or not but alas my compulsion will not allow me to not brush it. This habit has really started since Levi was born. Weird!

Brushing my teeth 3 times a day. This is a great habit and one I wish I would have developed at a younger age. But it is strange. I am unable to go through the day without brushing my teeth, especially if I feel that my teeth are getting a film from all the food I eat. Part of my new love of teeth brushing is the discovery of a new toothpaste that I LOVE the taste of. I would seriously eat the toothpaste if I could. Crest 3D White Advanced Vivid Stain Protection. Now it comes in 2 flavors and my favorite is fresh mint. I was VERY disappointed when I accidentally bought vibrant mint. See the crazy quirkiness here people?!

Speaking of oral hygiene, I have now developed a solid gum chewing habit. An addiction really. I am not a pack a day yet but I am close. I am not sure why I have developed this habit. Again it is a new one that has just popped up since Levi was born. Maybe I am developing OCD as part of my postpartum experience? And of course I have my favorite gum and all other gums shall never be as good as it. Wrigley's 5 Rain flavor gum. I am chewing it right now. And I just brushed my teeth.

The way I clean my kitchen. I like to do the dishes/make coffee for the next day/pack everyone's lunches, then clean the counters, then sweep the floors, then mop. I like it this way because then everything is clean at the end and you haven't recreated a mess by doing the floors first and then wiping the counters and getting food/stuff on the floor from the counters. Yeah, I know, I am weird.

So there a few of my weird quirks. What are your quirks? Did you find that you were less quirky as a young twentysomething? Do you have a favorite toothpaste too? Do you remember your parent's crazy quirks? Have you developed the same quirks as your parents? What's your favorite gum?

2 comments:

  1. Quirks... I find that I very strongly subscribe to the idea that if you can't do something right, you shouldn't do it at all. So, if I don't have time to do a thorough cleaning, I find it hard to make myself do a quick pick-up. So, my house is always either really clean or really messy.
    I hate laundry, but I LOVE to iron. Really iron, with a steam iron AND starch. Even baby clothes and Keith's polo shirts. I hate to see skirt hems that roll up or collars that aren't crisp.
    I have a million too, but I'm drawing a blank on what I'm sure are some of my crazier ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! we all have quirks or obsessions!

    maybe you´ve developed these quirks or obsessions out of need or requirement. your life is more busy now and so the flexibility often isn´t possible. also, with more people in your household, you have less control, so these little quirks give you moments of sweet control.

    i usually live by myself or with one other person so i develop certain uncommon conveniences. for example, when living alone i keep a spoon and knife out on the counter for sweet things, and a spoon and knife out on the counter for salty things. also a mug for water and a mug for tea. this way i hardly ever have to wash silverware or cups/mugs and it saves me time. i just have to do a light rinse if i´ve made something a little messy. i couldn´t have all those spoons and knives and mugs out over the counter if i were living with someone else.

    i think overall, in my opinion, these obsessions or inflexible habits can have a downside because they make us less flexible. i live such a quiet solitary routine-like life here that when i went back to the SC house with 4 kids last winter it was very very emotionally hard for me, i found myself extremely tired, i had to shut myself up in a bedroom several times, or just walk away from the house. i felt bad, bailey was upset to find me so tired and unable to play with her. whereas before I wouldn´ve never had difficulties being in a house with 4 kids.

    overall quirks are fine, i guess, as long as we can remember that situations change and that we should learn to be flexible enough for when they do...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete